Sunday, June 17, 2007

Holy Sashimi!

Yup, pigs do fly and I now eat Sushi. Correction, I prefer sashimi. Yes, I am already a bit picky about the style of sushi that I eat. I was fortunate to be in the best company possible for my first true sushi experience! Jacques, Elodie, and especially Grace, I thank you for opening me up to a new world of food. Yes, yes, I know...new to me.

I had plans to go out tonight with Mr. Jacques and Ms. Elodie. I told Jacques that I was up for anything and he took me seriously. haha. I wasn't hesitant when he said that we were going to Sushi Taro (One of the best sushi houses in Washington, D.C.). I knew I could get some chicken teriyaki or tonkatsu. However, I didn't know that not eating sushi at this place is a sin. You don't come to one of the best places in a metropolitan area and not eat their specialty.

No need to worry or panic, I was in the hands of seasoned professionals. Before I knew it, my chicken teriyaki turned into broiled Eel, I was eating fried tofu with fish shavings, and I had 6 pieces of spicy tuna on its way! Tuna, people! Do you understand the magnitude of this moment?

ah, but it gets better! For $19.95, you get the additional cliffhanger at no extra charge!!! Ok, it's late right now and I am getting stupid.

Grace ordered Chef's Omakase, which is a blend of the chef's choice of the 7-kind entree. So, basically, it has a variety of tuna, yellowtail, salmon, scallops, etc. The wooden block they served it on took up half of the table that we were sitting on. Jacques ordered the same thing, so the table was impressively packed with Omakase.

However, here is the cliffhanger!

While I spent my time enjoying the delicious broiled eel, Grace had a piece of tuna on my plate to try. Normally, I would quickly dismiss the attempt to get me to eat a piece of sushi, but she was so nonchalant about it, that I just went for it and ate whatever she put in front of me. Well, except for the shrimp head. haha. I had to draw the line some where.

When it was all said and done, I shared her Omakase. I had a variety of tuna....loved it. I had salmon, which I dismissed at the beginning of the meal....loved it. I had yellowtail...yup...loved it. This was all sashimi or nigiri as well. Then I tried some tuna rolls, which weren't too bad, but I really enjoyed the sashimi. Grace officially welcomed me to the sushi club, because I had eaten enough of a variety.

All night, I kept thinking to myself, where is the fishy taste? Why is this really good? Well, it was a combination of great friends, good timing, and a superb restaurant. I am an instant snob when it comes to sushi now. I have been spoiled from the get go. One of my questions to Grace was, "So, will I like the 'mediocre' sushi places?"

So those of you out there that have lunch or dinner with me, if you see sashimi in front of me, don't be alarmed. I am just continuing to explore my new world of taste.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home